DIY: How to Make Your Own Geode Crystals (Boho Room Decor Tutorial)
♥ Easy To Make Bohemian Crystals - Tutorial ♥
Watch my room tour: https://goo.gl/aNSCWT
Subscribe for more videos: https://goo.gl/uGZkD6
I’ve always loved the look of crystals (especially geodes), but whenever I find them while shopping at specialty stores, thrift stores or flea markets, I find them to be so expensive! Bohemian-inspired room decor or anything Tumblr-inspired is something I’m always on the hunt for to add to my boho room, so I was desperate to find a few geode crystals for my space. Since there were no budget-friendly options I could find, I decided to make some myself. There are so many tutorials on how to make borax crystals online, but I played around with a bunch of them and decided to do a crystal tutorial on what worked the best for me. I loved how these turned out so much that I’m thinking of making them as gifts for a few of my friends and family. I hope you enjoy this DIY crystal tutorial, and let me know if you have any questions on how to make bohemian crystals for your Tumblr AF soul (lol).
// INSTRUCTIONS //
1. Unscrew the lid on your mason jar and fill with boiling water.
2. Create a saturated solution of borax and water by adding enough borax to the point that no more will dissolve. The water should look cloudy - with some powder floating around still.
3. Add food coloring. You can experiment will different ratios, but I added only about 20 drops. The color didn't end up being that vivid when I tried making purple, but I also tried adding a lot of blue to another batch I made and that was a lot more vibrant!
5. Taking your pipe cleaners, coil into a shell shape. There's no exact science to this - I just messed around until I had a shape I thought would hold well in the water. As long as the shape is curved (as shown), the crystals should form into a similar shape.
6. Cut a piece of wire and hook through your shape.
7. Add the shape to your solution and secure it into the middle of the jar. The shape should not touch the sides or the bottom (or else it might get stuck to the jar while trying to grow).
8. Close the jar and let sit overnight. I usually see results after about 4 hours, but the longer you leave it, the bigger your crystals will be.
9. Once you've let it sit for enough time, you can take out your crystal. Be careful though, it will be the most fragile while it's still wet.
10. Snip one end of the wire and pull it out of your crystal. It should be really easy, but don't force it (you don't want to destroy your crystal with Hulk-strength hands).
11. And you're done - enjoy!!